Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Broken Wrist

On Tuesday, December 13th, Kylee and Drew were playing in Bryce's room while I was getting dinner ready for a friend. I was late and heard them playing loudly in there but was focused on getting dinner done. Just as I was about to start putting it in the car, I heard Kylee scream pretty loud. It was her hurt cry, so I sent Ryan in there. He comes out with Kylee who was just sobbing that her hand hurt. She decided to climb on the changing table and jump off it. I am sure a 5 year old boy gave her the idea. I gave her a quick hug and got dinner on the table and told everyone to eat. My kids are drama queens and thought she will forget about it after dinner. So I headed out and when I got back, Kylee is on the couch still sobbing. She is a Mommy's girl and so Daddy wasn't cutting it, she just wanted me. So I went and gave her loves and cuddled with her. She calmed down, so I told her it was bath time and to get ready. I watched her put her hurt arm down on the couch to get down, and she quickly changed arms because that one hurt. I knew then it might be broken. So after talking to Ryan, I took Kylee to Urgent Care. As soon as she held her hand out and tried to turn it, the doctor knew it was broken. We took x-rays and was sent home in a splint. All morning the next day, I was on the phone trying to find a specialist to put a cast on her wrist. Either she was too young, couldn't get her in for a week to 10 days, or they didn't take my insurance. Finally we found the Core Institute and got the cast on Thursday. I had to work that day and Kylee was not happy when she found out Daddy was taking her. Thank goodness for the Leapster and stickers. A purple cast was born!

So then a week later we went to see Santa at Bass Pro Shop and headed to Chick-fil-A after for lunch. While playing in the play area, some little boy decided to yank off her cast. Thank goodness her doctor got her in that afternoon and a pink cast was put on instead.

After 3 weeks living with a cast, Kylee headed back to the doctor to get it removed. She did an awesome job with it on. I was quite surprised. She never complained and almost enjoyed having all the attention. She was so excited to show people she got it off though.

2 comments:

Mel said...

Sounds like you had a great Christmas! Simple is so nice and you can NEVER go wrong with a trampoline!

Wow, only 3 weeks for a cast! That's awesome!

the DeCampos Family said...

she CRACKS me up!